Friday, March 2, 2012

DIY Day: Hanging Key Holder

So, I've been totally obsessed with Pinterest lately - like most people I know - and there are so many cool, inventive crafts and ideas floating around that I knew I had to get into the crafting scene. 
I had this old, small shelf from Target that I wasn't using, and I knew I wanted to do something with it, so I got inspired to make a hanging key holder for the foyer. It turned out really well, I think, and it didn't take me very long to make.


DIY Hanging Key Holder
Materials:
- 1 small shelf or piece of wood, to be the base
- 4 hooks
- Spray paint in a color of your choice, for the hooks (optional)
- Pencil
- Sharpie or paint/paintbrush
- Twine
- Push pins


Procedure:

  • First, copy a picture of a vintage-looking key, or letters to spell 'key' onto your base using the pencil; when you're satisfied, go over it again in sharpie or paint.
  • Spray paint the hooks a color of your choice if desired, and allow to dry.
  • Measure out the distances for the placement of the hooks, and screw them in (I hammered a nail in first to make a hole, then removed it and screwed in the hooks).
  • Cut a piece of twine for hanging and secure it with push pins.
  • Hang your work of art!

This project was really fun - I decided to do it outside on my balcony to get some fresh air and of course the little one followed me out there and stayed by my side the whole time. I don't know what he was hoping to get out of it... I guess he knows that when I get creative, usually yummy stuff happens. 
"Yup. Always by my side. ALWAYS."

2 comments:

  1. That's such a cute idea!! I can't believe how simple it was and it turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete